Horse racing in Trinidad and Tobago has existed since the early 1800’s with the racing activity conducted by a number of private clubs, mainly at the
Queen’s Park Savannah and elsewhere in the country.
In 1897 the Trinidad Turf Club was established and with its affiliation to the powerful Jockey Club of England, horse racing acquired a newfound status and recognition, and more importantly the implementation of standard Rules of Racing. The Trinidad Turf Club therefore assumed the dual role of Turf Authority as well as Promoter of racing for the next 97 years.
In 1976 however, as a result of clamours from the Racehorse Owners Association; Government took over the control of the regulatory aspects of the local horse racing industry with the establishment of the Trinidad and Tobago Racing Authority. By Act of Parliament (No. 45 of 1976) and which accordingly replace the Trinidad Turf Club as the controlling arm of racing, however the club still maintain its status as a Promoter of racing.
Under the provisions of Law governing the Trinidad and Tobago Racing Authority are the following responsibilities:-
*MISSION STATEMENT OF THE AUTHORITY
To uphold the integrity of the Racing Industry in Trinidad and Tobago, so as to ensure fair play for all participants without fear or favor.